Friday, September 16, 2011



Hello! A piece that I found quite interesting on my travels through the treacherous interwebs was a piece created by Henri Matisse; Self-Portrait in a Striped T-Shirt.


Self-Portrait in a Striped T-Shirt. 1906. Oil on canvas. Statens Museum for Kunst, Copenhagen, Denmark. 55 x 46 cm


Henri Matisse was a french painter born in 1869 who was a was also a printer and a sculptor but is well known as a Fauvist painter. Henri Matisse was considered a forerunner for the fauvist art movement, and was seen as one of the most famous of the Fauvists to this day.


The reason why I think this piece stood out to me was how different the piece looked to me compared to his other pieces, where many of his oils seem to be very neat, while these brush strokes seem quite violent yet thoughtful, and where (In my opinion) the fauvist style aids the painting rather than ills it, the vibrant and complementary colours, the harsh, violent brush strokes really make it a memorable piece. Before seeing this piece, i wasn't a fan of fauvism, but now my eyes have truly been opened, and I now see the style with fervour.


0 comments: